EPPING: Two men stabbed in High Street brawl
Epping Forest Guardian - 28|09|09http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/efnews/4652674.EPPING__Two_men_stabbed_in_High_Street_brawl/?ref=rss
AT least two of the men injured in Saturday's mass brawl in Epping High Street were stabbed, the Guardian can reveal.
More details are emerging today about the large-scale fight, which is believed to have started outside nightspots Club One9Five and The Edge at around 2.25am.
Police have now said a total of 13 men had to be taken to hospital following the mayhem, even more than previously believed.
And the Guardian understands at least two of those were stabbed.
Officers have confirmed there were a "number of knife injuries" but have been unable to say exactly how many.
A police spokesman added that those taken to hospital were treated for a mixture of wounds and lacerations caused by a "variety of weapons."
Many more "walking wounded" were also hurt, but did not need hospital treatment.
It is thought at least 20 men were involved.
Some people have also contacted the Guardian claiming a group of men arrived at the scene in a van and were armed with knives and screwdrivers, although this has not been confirmed by police.
The status of two men who suffered "serious" injuries in the incident is currently unknown, but the emergency services are expected to provide an update on their condition later today.
MOTHER - MY SON'S FACE NEEDED 20 STITCHES
A mother of one of those injured, who did not wish to be named, said her son had needed 20 stitches to his face after being hit by a bottle in the chaos.
She said: "He's got a cut right down his cheek all the way to his mouth. And he's got to go back to hospital again because his eye is in a bad way.
"He doesn't remember much of what happened. He was just out having a drink with some friends from Walthamstow celebrating a birthday when he got hit on the back of the head. It is very worrying that something like this could happen, especially if knives were involved."
The woman said police had taken some of her son's clothes for forensic work as part of their investigation, and had yet to return them.
Officers remained at the scene for most of Saturday carrying out further investigatory work, and their enquiries are still on-going today.
AMBULANCE SERVICE - THREE WERE INJURED IN THE NECK
A spokeswoman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: "We received several emergency calls to the High Street from 2.28am, and our first resource was on scene in about four minutes with five other crews and a manager appearing to have been dispatched as well.
"At least three [of those injured] suffered neck injuries, at least two suffered facial injuries, [and] one patient was described as having been unconscious.
"Some patients were taken to Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow, others were taken to Whipps Cross Hospital in Leytonstone.
"[This was] a very involved incident which needed a great deal of liaison with police on scene, and receiving hospitals, to ensure patients were dealt with as safely and quickly as possible."
Many of those injured are thought to be from Walthamstow and Chingford in East London, and aged in their early to mid 20s.
POLICE LAUNCH APPEAL FOR WITNESSES
Meanwhile the 46-year-old man from Harlow who was arrested following the fighting has been bailed by police until December 21.
He had been arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm.
Police have also today launched an appeal for witness to the brawl, which they are describing as a "large-scale disorder".
Anyone with any information about the incident, which happened at around 2.25am on Saturday September 26, is urged to contact Harlow CID on 0300 333 4444.
Did you see what happened? Contact reporter Daniel Binns on 0779 547 6625 or via email at email@example.com